WELCOME TO THE NATION

Congratulations. You found us. You're one step closer to becoming awesome.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Worst Sundae Ever

Back in the summer of 2006 I was lucky enough to live on the block where a new Cold Stone Creamery was opening. For those of you who have never been to a Cold Stone, stop reading now and get there. For the rest of us, let me tell you about the first time I took Snake to this lovely establishment.

I had just finished a consecutive streak of 13 days of going to Cold Stone and by this point I was a pro at mixing and matching the various flavors with fresh toppings into an explosion of awesome in a waffle bowl. But for any first timer, it can be intimidating when you see the wide selection of choices and the combinations. Snake and I enter at 9pm on a hot summer night:

Oak--Now take your time when you order.
Snake--What? Why?
Oak--There's a lot of possible combinations. Choose wisely.
Snake--I practically grew up at Friendly's. Watch and learn.

I move through the line and order one of my go-to creations, "Peanut Butter Cup Perfection." I pay the 4 bucks and wait outside for Snake. He walks out a minute later with a horrified look on his face as he takes the spoon out of his mouth.

Oak--What happened?
Snake--I panicked!!!

I look closer at the bowl of ice cream in his hands and realize he has just ordered THE WORST SUNDAE OF ALL TIME. The ingredients: Mango ice cream, peanuts, caramel, graham cracker, and cookie dough. And because it's from Cold Stone, all these things are mashed together in the bowl. Take a minute to picture this or taste these things in your mind.

Awful I know. And to make matters worse, he got overcharged for it:

Snake--How much was yours?
Oak--4.25. How much was yours?
Snake--9.14. Fuck!!!

At this point a small crowd begins to gather on the corner because I can't breathe. I am laughing so hard and in tears from this mango disaster that people have taken notice and think something is wrong. Snake takes his ice cream back into the store to get his 5 bucks back. By the time he comes back I'm done and already on the phone with Yosh:

Oak--.....Yeah dude! With MANGO ICE CREAM!

The moral of this story is you need to be prepared when you go to Cold Stone. It's a magical place where all your wishes can come true if you go in with a plan and execute. Snake was a rookie then. It's taken a few years and there were some bumps along the way but none were as awful as that first night.

1 comment:

Mich said...

i can't believe he thought because he "practically grew up at friendly's" he had any idea what was coming to him. I mean, as good as the conehead, reese's pieces and reese's peanut butter cup sundaes were, they were pre-decided for you- cold stone is a vastly different experience. this coming from an equi-cold stone lover as yourself Oak. And might i add i am thoroughly impressed by your 13 day straight streak complete with waffle cup. Did you happen to keep a diary of that? i would love to read that blog of combos.